I love what I do. I know a lot of authors hem and haw when asked what they do, but I’m proud of it and don’t mince words when I tell them I’m a writer. And when they inevitably ask what I write, I proudly say, Paranormal Romance and Erotic Paranormal Romance.
After they wrinkle their noses and notice my total lack of embarrassment or shame over writing romance or even…gasp….erotic, you all know the question that comes next….
“Do you have anything published?” And have you ever noticed the condescending almost pitying tone that usually comes with that?
I’m also proud of saying, “Yes. I’m multi published under two pen names.”
Then they usually say, “Are you published with a “real” publisher? Anyone I would recognize?”
For a while I bristled at the “real” publisher comment since I was first published with a small press and I believe them to BE real publishers!! But, most people are oblivious to that fact so I don’t even bother to point that out. And I’m also proud of being able to say, “I’m published with a few places, but the two New York publishers are Kensington and Berkley…which you might know as Penguin.”
Most people have heard of Penguin and even though they probably know next to nothing about publishing OR Penguin that usually derails their condescending tone, at least a little.
But even when I was only published with a small press publisher, I would proudly tell people what I did and was never shy about writing romance.
So with a huge thanks to Virginia Nelson for giving me this blog idea, here are the top 10 reasons to write romance!!
1. I get to fall in love all over again with every book!
2. How many people get to experience the excitement of that first sexual encounter with someone new over and over again while remaining totally faithful to their spouse? And even having their approval? And a total side note and probably TMI, but….you know I don’t shy away from that… To understand this, you have to realize that if I don’t get hot and bothered while WRITING a scene, my readers won’t be when they are reading it. SO, when I sold my first erotic romance trilogy to Kensington…and was writing them….hubby came home one day with a HUGE package of batteries he bought at Sam’s club and slapped them down on the headboard of our bed with a smirk…. Smart ass! 🙂 But you get the point…snerk!
3. I believe true love is out there, and that soul mates exist. I love getting to show that possibility and inspire people to look for it. For those who argue that romance gives people false hope – I would rather have people putting out good energy and believing in true love and drawing it to them than exuding doubt and fear that they’ll be alone forever and attracting THAT back into their lives.
4. I get to be a part of helping people rekindle the passion in their relationships! I’ve gotten several emails from couples who thanked me for rekindling the spark in their relationships. Especially my erotic works! I’ve heard from couples who read chapters of my Cassie Ryan books together and then let nature take its course. I’m glad that the hard work and time I put Into creating these stories and these worlds helps people and inspires them. What could be better than bringing people back together and reminding them of what they saw in each other in the first place? One year at a book singing they mistakenly sat me under the “Inspirational” sign since the “Erotic” table was full. I took it in stride and told the people who came by my table that my Cassie Ryan books are definitely inspirational, just in a different way than the other ladies at the same table 🙂
5. I get to show that all kinds of women and women can find romance, love and fulfilling sex lives. None of my characters are perfect. They aren’t all skinny blondes with perfect bodies and perfect personalities. And the men aren’t all cover models who always say the right thing and sweep the women off their feet and save the day! In fact, most of the time, my heroines save themselves and sometimes even save their hero as well! I try to make my characters “regular” women and men who are put into irregular circumstances. And all of them need to “find” or “accept” themselves in order to truly find love. So through my work I get to show people it’s possible to find love, acceptance, and companionship no matter who you are and what you look like. And that’s very rewarding!
6. In my Cassie Ryan books, I get to explore all kinds of kinky and off the wall sexual things that I would never try out in real life! If you’ve read my Seduction series you know that can sometimes get pretty out there 🙂 In fact there’s a sex scene that has about 30 people in it… Snerk! Not something I would sign up for in real life, but I have to admit that it was REALLY fun to live out in my imagination. Yes, I admit it. It WAS fun. But then I have a really good imagination!! LOL!!!!
7. After a long, hard day of work, I’m still smiling and feeling good, even if it’s during the big black moment where all looks lost, or I killed someone off that day!
8. I get to do my job in my pajamas, sipping butterscotch martinis, on a comfortable patio with the breeze blowing or sitting in a squishy chair at Starbucks with a hot chai tea latte next to me 🙂
9. I get to meet the ‘good guys’ who are still out there waiting to fall in love and meet the right woman for them 🙂 Yes, I do have quite a few male fans. Granted, they prefer to think of my books as ‘sci-fi with sex’ rather than paranormal romance, but it works out the same in the end, and they do even enjoy the romance parts since I don’t write soupy, scholcky romance that makes you want to gag or get a toothache…or so I’ve been told! (And I’m glad!!)
10. I get to people watch and mentally stalk people and not get arrested for it! After all, anyone and everyone who comes across my path are fair game to be book fodder!! Mwaaahaaahaaaa!
I really do have the best job in the world. Not only do I get all the perks above, but even beyond that I get paid to make stuff up and even to be sarcastic!! Who else can say that?