I was tagged by Jordan Summers over on Facebook to list ten books that have both impacted me and stuck with me over the years. Like hers, my list isn’t typical, but here we go!
1. Rumble Fish by S.E. Hinton (Reading this I remember the first thoughts that I could possibly write a book someday and see it on the shelf for others to read…)
2. Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austin (I was in awe of the love story and the vivid world she built that gave me a taste of my first historical novels, which I still love! To this day THIS is my favorite book of all time…)
3. Dante’s Inferno by Dante Alighieri (I was sucked in by not only the world building but the wonderful “otherworld-ness” of it. Mrs. Cresswell’s English class was titillated by this book and I suppose so was I.
4. On a Pale Horse & the entire Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony… LOVE Piers Anthony. I would love to be able to write series like him!! And damn is that man prolific!!
5. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (I was and still am in awe of the intricate and wonderful world building and hope one day to even come close in my own writing!)
6. Born In Fire by Nora Roberts (The first romance novel I read as an adult that made me start to fall in love with the genre.)
7. King of Hearts by Cheyenne McCray (My first erotic romance and the first time I started to think I might be able to write it…)
8. Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffrey (My first taste of a book with both paranormal and romance – I was hooked from then on!! AND had found what I wanted to write!)
9. 1984 by George Orwell (When I first read this I thought all his ideas were far fetched and paranoid, but now that I’m older and seeing some of them come to pass it’s just eerie, but also makes me think of the girl I was when we studied this book in high school. Wow….was I naïve…)
10. Anything and everything by William Shakespeare with Hamlet being one of my favorites. I loved the glimpse into that time and place as well as the popular themes that I was just being introduced to when I read those… I still love those stories today.