Everyone I know has the more normal New Year’s resolutions – you know…lose weight, clean out their closet, exercise 4X a week…
Yeah – not my style. Not that those aren’t admirable resolutions to have, but they just aren’t on my list. And I would probably never keep them beyond January anyway.
So what IS on my list?
- Write daily! I already try to do this, but end up on a pretty normal week only writing on 5 days and those aren’t always productive ones.
- Read more! TONS of people have this on their lists, but as a writer, it’s pretty important. I often use reading as a reward for reaching some word count goal in my current Work in Progress, and I can’t read in the genre I’m currently writing. I don’t want to start sounding like the author I’m reading. When I read, I get just as immersed in that world and those characters as when I write. So often, I’ll read historical romances, comedy romances or even history or biographies. But whatever I’m reading I NEED to read more in 2016! I only read 13 books in 2015 (not counting the ones I critiqued for other writers) and that’s pretty pathetic for me.
- Do more real time research! I do a lot of my research online, or even chatting online with people to get the information I need. But for my current series, I really need to wrangle the Butterscotch Martini Girls and go to a BDSM dungeon/sex club. Hubby told me in no uncertain terms when I was offered the contract with Random House Loveswept that he would NOT be the one to go with me…LOL! But I’ll bet at least a few of the girls would be game!
- Find a few more people who are active in the BDSM/fetish lifestyle to interview and get story ideas. Pretty self explanatory – more research from those who live that lifestyle will give me great writing material!!
- Step up my sex scenes. Yes, I can see some of you cringing because a lot of my sex scenes are already pretty hot, but I don’t want them to get stagnant or predictable so I need to keep striving to write better/hotter ones that also bring the characters together and bring the characters closer emotionally.
- The BMG’s have been talking about getting Martini girl tattoos. I’m thinking about it. I have one existing tatt I need to get touched up, but I wouldn’t mind adding a small BMG one to the two I have. After all, I’m one of the founding members and it’s been a BIG part of my life for over a decade now. It would be a tattoo I would love forever, and I do still have a few places that won’t sag too much over the next 20 years!! No one wants a crinkly or suddenly 3 foot long martini glass….snerk!
- I also do have some normal resolutions…like not to beat myself up as much when I have a bad writing week or get behind on word count.
- To not compare myself to other authors’ writing output and feel bad about myself.
- To be thankful every day that I can STILL write – even if it takes me four times as long as it did pre brain blowout.
- The be more kind and compassionate
- To always work to be a better mother and wife
- To love myself more
- To be less judgmental about myself and others
- To be thankful for everything each and every day!
- To make sure everyone I love and care for knows how I feel!
- To find joy in every day!
- Do my gratitude exercises every day as soon as I get up!
If you were expecting more X-rated resolutions – just head on out to my Cassie Ryan page and pick up a book or two…and definitely my latest – My Obsession. That’ll give you the X-rated you’ve been looking for! 🙂
But if you’d like to go sensual instead of erotic – head on out to my Tina Gerow page.
What are some of YOUR resolutions that aren’t on everyone else’s list?
Happy New Year!